This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

xml format

May 14, 2014 at 4:15 PM
Hi
I was wonder what format is generated when outputting as XML.
ie
ReportGenerator.exe -report:all.xml -targetdir:C:\report1 -reporttypes:xml

When I run this it caused exception. ( I can send this file )

If I generate as html, then it works correctly.

I intend to use this with Jenkins, and when I use the Jenkins html plugin, it copies all the files to the Master repository. This take about 5 minutes. I thought maybe it may be faster using some other Jenkins plugin, such as Cobertura, and this requires xml files.

ps I created the all.xml using the team tools. Code/Tests written in unmanaged C++, gtest, VS2013 Premium. e.g
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Team Tools\Dynamic Code Coverage Tools\amd64\CodeCoverage.exe" collect /output:allTest.coverage allTest.exe
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Team Tools\Dynamic Code Coverage Tools\amd64\CodeCoverage.exe" collect /output:QueueTest.coverage QueueTest.exe 
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Team Tools\Dynamic Code Coverage Tools\amd64\CodeCoverage.exe" collect /output:rqueueTest.coverage rqueueTest.exe 
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Team Tools\Dynamic Code Coverage Tools\amd64\CodeCoverage.exe" analyze /output:all.xml allTest.coverage QueueTest.coverage rqueueTest.coverage

rem single xml file 
c:\ReportGenerator_1.9.1.0\bin\ReportGenerator.exe -reports:all.xml -targetdir:report
Coordinator
May 14, 2014 at 9:25 PM
Hi,

thanks for your message.

Could you please upload the xml report? E.g. on Dropbox or Google Drive. Or you could open an issue and attach the file there (https://reportgenerator.codeplex.com/WorkItem/Create).

Which version of ReportGenerator are you using?

Thanks for your help. I hope we can resolve this issue soon.
May 15, 2014 at 10:42 AM
Hi,

It was my mistake. This does work. I had just run out of disk space on my VM.
I increased it by another 10G, and all was well.
So sorry about the wasted time.

Further note.
I would still like to understand the format of the XML files. ( as in the previous post, with more details )
The HTML generating produces 7.5G of files, and the XML produced 3G of files.
I was using Jenkins HTML plugin which internally copies the the HTML file over to the Jenkins Master machine.
This then caused the Master to die, as lack of space ( which has now been increased ).
Can the XML files be viewed by Jenkins ?
Coordinator
May 15, 2014 at 11:22 AM
Hi,

great to hear that this was not the fault of ReportGenerator.

To understand the XML format just have a look at one of the generated files.
It's a custom XML format containing basically the same information as the HTML report, but it's not intended to be read by humans.
You may want to use for further processing or to extract some information out of it.

Your code base seems to be extremly big, otherwise the reports would not take 7.5G.
I never worked with Jenkins, but even if Jenkins can display the XML reports, they won't be very helpful.
The HTML report is much better for this purpose. You could also try the HTMLSummary report which will only generate the overview page.